History of Clonenagh National School
Clonenagh National School originally stood on the Main Street, between Kelly's Pub and Millers and where the Macra Hall / St Vincent de Paul Charity Shop is now located.
The school was built in 1820 by Sir Charles Coote and Lady Coote who were living in Mountrath at the time. The building was described as large and was erected at a cost of £500, defrayed partly by subscription and partly by a donation of £230 from Sir Charles Coote, who also gave an acre of ground for its site. It was enlarged in 1821, at an additional expense of £350, half of which was contributed by subscription, and the remainder from the Lord Lieutenant's fund. In 1831 it was reported that the average number of pupils were 100 both boys and girls.
In 1958 the school relocated to its new location directly behind the original school. Access to the school was via a laneway from Main Street. This still exists today and the children use it to walk to the library, the GAA Pitch and The Convent - Bloom HQ.
Eventually a piece of land in front of the school was converted into our car park as it is today.
In 1990, the school received an exciting visit from Mary Robinson who went on to become Ireland's first female President.
Clonenagh National School has been extended many times over the years. In 2022, the school was extended to include a new special classroom for children with autism and a multi sensory room.